Are your plugs properly maintained?

Are your plugs properly maintained?

It might not occur to us in the normal scheme of things to make sure that the plugs we are using at home are safe. After all, if they are wired correctly and contain the right fuse, then in theory they should be. However, sometimes plugs are made using plug tops that are of a lower quality – and these can be dangerous.

UK charity ESC (Electrical Safety Council) helps keep people safe in the workplace and at home. They conducted research that found that some plug tops that had been bought on the internet were of a poor standard, and didn’t hit the mark when tested. They caused damage to the electrical sockets, which would be extremely dangerous if it occurred for real in someone’s home.

Top tips for safe plugs

  • Make sure you buy a reliable brand if purchasing a new plug top.
  • Always unplug items from the wall using the plug rather than by pulling on the cable, as this can damage the flex.
  • Periodically check plug tops, cords and cables to make sure that there are no visible signs of damage.
  • Do not use extension leads to take items into the bathroom that should not be used in there e.g. hairdryers, radios etc. This could be very dangerous if they got wet.
  • Do not have wires trailing across surfaces in the kitchen.
  • Do not use extension leads to power washing machines.
  • Take care not to overload a socket.

If you need any extra sockets installed in your home to make life easier, consult your local electrician who will be happy to discuss this with you.

Also, if your home hasn’t had an electrical inspection within the last 10 years, speak to us about this service too to see how we can help.

We hope you have found these tips helpful! Please let us know if there are any other topics you would like covered in future blog posts. Your feedback is greatly valued!

For further reading on keeping your home safe. Check out this from Electrical Safety First